Olufemi Akinrele is a Senior Associate in the corporate practice.
Mr. Olufemi Akinrele is a seasoned Lawyer and transaction originator in the upstream, midstream, and downstream sectors of the Nigerian Petroleum Industry. With a core focus in energy, natural resources, and transport law, he has mediated in a number of transactional negotiations and also ensured transactional integrity. He has vast experience in corporate and commercially centred advisory work.
He has conducted extensive due diligence on several upstream projects within Nigeria and has amassed deep insights about several key players in the Nigerian and international oil and gas sector. He has also rendered advisory services with respect to oil and gas law including the contractual analysis of agreements within the said sector in Nigeria.
Mr. Olufemi Akinrele has advised and successfully represented a broad range of local and international clients spanning from financial investors to technical partners in the energy and natural resource space, and in the process, has developed extensive and close client relationships, and a correspondingly deep book of structuring commercial transactions.
Over the years, he has developed a passion for the study of analysing and managing the political dynamics of sector reform. With his experience, track record and intimate knowledge of the Nigerian oil and gas regulatory terrain, he is highly sought-after by several international corporate clients seeking to make investments in Nigeria.
He is the Membership Secretary of the Lagos Motorboat Club. He is a citizen of Nigeria and has the dual right to live and work in Nigeria and the United Kingdom.
- Acted as mediator in contractual negotiation between indigenous oil companies and foreign financiers/ technical partners desirous of acquiring oil & gas assets from the International Oil Companies (IOCs) Chevron and Shell.
- Assisted a couple of indigenous oil & gas entities in locating and assessing potential reverse takeover (RTO) targets with listings on the London Stock Exchange and the Oslo Stock Exchange.
- Helped indigenous oil and gas entities negotiate terms of their agreements with foreign technical partners in respect to the development of oil and gas assets.
- Rendered numerous opinions to several IOCs.
- Co- authored the Nigerian section of the (1st Edition) Foreign Investment review journal “Getting the Deal Through” (2012).
- Led a legal team that represented a long-established corporate entity at advanced stages of embarking on a PPP with Lagos State, with respect to a mixed purpose development project within the said State.
- Worked on a varied corporate transaction, within the oil & gas sector.
- Instrumental in crafting the firms guide to estate planning “Wills or Trusts”.
University of Dundee, Scotland LLM, 2001
University of Sraffordshire, U.K. LL.B. (Hons), 1998
Oxford Princeton International Oil Trading Course, UK , Certificate in International Oil Trading, 2005
Nigerian Law School.
Qualifying Certificate, 2003.